TIM Tester Features
The Analysis Tech Thermal Interface Material Testers measure material thermal impedance and conductivity in moderate-to-high conductivity materials and is ideally suited for measurement of thermal interface materials used in electronic packaging. These testers conform to test method ASTM D5470 but also utilizes thermal structure-function analysis to enhance the speed and accuracy of measurement yielding typical test durations range from 10 to 15 minutes.
All test parameters and measurement procedures are software-controlled using WinTIM graphical-user-interface. Contact pressure and sample temperature are automatically and controlled according to the operator's test selections. During testing, all relevant parameters are are automatically controlled to achieve the desired test conditions with an optimal trade-off between test-duration and data-accuracy. Data is presented simply and clearly in text files, Excel data files, and graphically with plots of thermal data versus sample thickness or pressure. Plots also accurately determine surface-contact thermal resistance and thermal conductivity. (see Case Studies)
Test specimen thickness is electronically measured during testing, commonly known as “in situ thickness measurement". Tests can be conducted specified-pressure (for type II & III materials) or specified-thickness modes (for type I & II materials). Phase change materials can also be tested using the pre-test "bake" feature.
The WinTIM software package provides complete help files and on-screen instructions to allow new-users to quickly become experienced-users without special training. WinTIM software continuously monitors all aspects of tester operation and provides detailed tips and guidance where appropriate.
The optional Calibration Equipment and Reference Sample Package facilitates periodic on-site instrument calibration of the TIM Testers using features of WinTIM Software. The Reference Sample Set includes documented test-samples for convenient accuracy-verification and long-term consistency data on the TIM Tester operation. (Note: reference samples are not needed for testing since the ASTM 5470 method is an absolute measurement and not relative to any known reference samples.)
The TIM Tester requires temperature-controlled recirculating chilled water, compressed “shop” air, and a PC computer running the Windows XP-Pro or Windows 7. Test control and data collection are performed by WinTIM software using a USB port connection to the TIM Tester. Both the coolant and compressed air are provided with quick disconnects for convenience. AC power is normally 120VAC, 60 Hz unless otherwise specified.
Thermal Interface Material Tester Features
- Fully automatic operation under WinTIM Software, included
- Short test durations, typically 10-15 minutes per test
- Thickness measurement of sample "as-tested" / "in-situ" using electronic sensors
- Controlled-thickness and controlled-pressure test modes
- Accuracy estimates included for all thermal data
- Automatic pressure control and pressure batch testing to operator's selections
- Automatic sample-temperature control and temperature batch tests to operator's selections
- User selectable test unit selection:
- English: watt, K, inch, psi
- Metric: watt, K, cm, kPa
- Continuous Fail-safe Error Detection:
- Low coolant flow
- Low air pressure supply
- Operator mechanical press-safety
- Convenient USB interface to PC computer
- Sturdy, heavy-duty construction
- In-house calibration procedures
TIM Tester Accessories and Options:
- TIM Turnkey Accessory Package:
- Recirculating chiller with USB & serial control, cables, and hose set
- Calibration equipment and reference test-sample package
- Coolant and compressed-air hoses with quick connectors (included with chiller)
- Optional PC Computer